About Me

My photo
I've been happily married to Jim for 44 years (but I don't know how that could be since I really don't feel that old), have 2 married children, and 5 precious grandchildren (seen above).

Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Truth About Entertainment

I really enjoy going to movies.  There used to be a lot of good family-friendly movies to choose from, but not so much anymore. In fact, I don't remember the last movie I went to.  (Maybe Secretariat - I love horses!)

But it got me to thinking about how I've heard some people talk about things being so "boring".  I also remember an old saying (don't know where it came from): nothing's boring except in the eyes of a boring person.  I may not have that exactly right, but you get the idea.

It's disconcerting that so many people seem to be so self-absorbed that they feel like they need to be stimulated/entertained all the time.  The problem with that is self-absorption never produces contentment. It only leads to frustration and addiction.

In the Bible, Paul talked about contentment.  In fact, he said he had found the secret of it.  Philippians 4:11 says, "...for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content.  I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound.  Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.  I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me."

I want to be content like that.  Guess I need to make sure my focus is on the right thing.

"Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith, Who for the joy that was set before Him, endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."  Hebrews 12:1-2

1 comment:

  1. I like that a lot. Thank you for sharing your wise words. I need Sheldon to read this! ;)

    ReplyDelete