About Me

My photo
I've been happily married to Jim for 44 years (but I don't know how that could be since I really don't feel that old), have 2 married children, and 5 precious grandchildren (seen above).

Monday, February 8, 2010

The Truth About Mistakes

Listening to the news, I heard about a politician who dropped out as a candidate for an office because of his conviction in 2005 for holding a knife to the neck of a prostitute. He also had been abusive to his wife. Part of his statement said that he had made "mistakes"in his life.

mistake - 1. a fault in understanding, perception, interpretation, etc. 2. an idea, answer, act, etc. that is wrong; error

Call me crazy, but I just don't see how either of those actions fits that definition. Somehow our society has decided that it's ok to call an illegal, immoral or unethical act a "mistake". Then it's not as bad - or the person isn't as bad.

Don't get me wrong. We all make mistakes, even stupid mistakes. But what happened to speaking the truth about what we've done? (Remember my aversion to the word "sin" in my story?) Sure it's really difficult, even humiliating at times. But it's also very liberating, because after putting yourself "down" with a declaration of truth, the only direction you can go is up.

God has some truth to say about this: "If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:8-9

1 comment: