About Me

My photo
I've been happily married to Jim for 44 years (but I don't know how that could be since I really don't feel that old), have 2 married children, and 5 precious grandchildren (seen above).

Friday, February 19, 2010

The Truth About Listening

We all listen to something. Well, duh, you say. What I mean is, our minds listen to something all the time. We're either listening to an outside stimulus (radio - oops, I mean, ipod, television, conversation, etc.) or we're listening to that little voice on the inside. And what we listen to can have a profound effect on who we are, what we do, and what we become.

I wish I could say I'm always listening to the right thing. I'm not. But I'm soooo grateful for God's still, small voice that will interrupt my wrong thoughts and give me a chance to change what I'm listening to and also ask His forgiveness for not filtering what comes to my mind. I like to say that I need to Philippians 4:8 everything. "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things."

There are also severe consequences for not filtering what we listen to. I love it when God speaks so clearly that there's no way we can misinterpret what He's saying. "This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to His voice, and hold fast to Him. For the Lord is your life..."

No comments:

Post a Comment