About Me

My photo
I've been happily married to Jim for 44 years (but I don't know how that could be since I really don't feel that old), have 2 married children, and 5 precious grandchildren (seen above).

Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Truth About The Supernatural

Is it just me, or are there an inordinate amount of movies and television shows about mediums, ghosts, etc.? It's been many months since I've been to Blockbuster, but the last time I was there the whole store was just FULL of demonic, supernatural, and occult evil.

I remember (barely!) when I was young that I just loved to watch spooky movies, shows, etc. I think a lot of young people find a fascination with the supernatural.

But BEWARE! It's dangerous. There is a huge price to pay for that. I know. I paid it. Even though I just watched a few movies, I would give anything if I had it to do over. Our minds are like computers and once we've downloaded images, they are there to stay. Oh sure, we might try to delete them, but they just go to a different location in our mind. And even though they might dim over the years, they are still there.

Another price we pay is that if we continue to download garbage, not only will garbage start to come out of us, but we will start to become desensitized to the garbage when we see it and not even recognize it for what it is (like the frog put in the pot of cold water starting to boil).

God feels VERY strongly about fascination with the supernatural. He expects us to stay away from it. Here's what He said to His chosen nation, Israel: "A man or woman who is a medium or spiritist among you must be put to death. You are to stone them; their blood will be on their own heads." Leviticus 20:27

Now I'm not advocating murder, but God's views are the same today as they were then. "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Hebrews 13:8. Even though this is referring to a person who practices the supernatural, would the Lord ignore a person who just dabbles in it? I think not. God's enemy, the devil, is behind the supernatural and occult. We can choose to be interested in his interests or in God's interests.

I'm soooo grateful that the Lord has forgiven me for my stupid choices when I was younger and that He has given me tactics for having a mind that pleases Him. (see "The Truth About Listening").

2 comments:

  1. Well, you can't have it both ways... You say you aren't advocating murder, but apparently, your [Christian version of] God - does. By your own words - he doesn't change. So then you disagree with your God? Or do you just reinterpret him and the bible, like the rest of your fellows?

    WAKE UP, sweetie. Religion is a political agenda, and a farce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, anonymous. I didn't do a very good job of expressing myself. I should have been more specific.

    I'm not advocating an individual murder someone and neither is God. (murder is the illegal act of killing someone). God was giving the laws to His chosen people about what the punishment would be for those who practiced the occult (mediums & spiritists, etc.) He gave the law to show what sin is.

    I'm just saying that God takes occult practices just as seriously today as He did when He gave that law. The words about God not changing are not my words - they are in the Bible.

    The difference now is that because He knew no one could fulfill all the law, His plan was always to provide a way for anyone to be forgiven who wanted to be forgiven. He sent His divine Son to earth as a baby (the reason we celebrate Christmas) for the express purpose of dying on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins so that we wouldn't have to. All we have to do is confess that we are a sinner & trust Jesus Christ & His death on the cross to pay the penalty for our sin.

    What I practice and believe is NOT religion - it's a relationship. It's not about trying to obey any laws, it's about trusting Jesus.

    Another very important point I was trying to make, but didn't do a very good job of, is that those who practice the occult are putting themselves at the mercy of the devil, who delights in such things (any practice that keeps a person away from Jesus Christ). He is a liar and the father of all lies (like you can dabble in or practice the occult and it's ok).

    Hope that clarifies what I was trying to say.

    ReplyDelete